Fall has arrived and the crisp autumn air can be nature’s alarm clock to get you going in the morning. The leaves are changing their glorious shades of autumn colors and the days are getting shorter. For some of us, the change of season signals the time to head indoors for the daily workout. For others, like me, it’s a rare opportunity to enjoy the colorful scenery and quieter times at local parks. It’s also the perfect time to get to know your body better and change up your exercise routine with simple exercises and lightweight, portable equipment.
Here are my five tips for exercising and staying fit this fall:
1. Warm up your body: If there is one thing you should always do no matter what the temperature is outside, it’s get into the routine of warming up your body for at least 5-10 minutes. Many people injure themselves because they don’t take the time to get their body moving and ready for exercise. The colder the temperature the longer you should warm up your body before any strenuous activity.
2. Body Exercises: No matter how many workout fads we experience in our lifetime, some exercises should never go out of style and always be incorporated into your workout routine. Performed correctly, exercises like squats, lunges, push-ups and sit-ups are as effective in getting you in shape as any other form of fitness. They can be done anywhere, especially at the park. Watch my Jersey Fit series of videos for the proper way to perform a squat and use dumbbells.
3. TRX Suspension System: Born in the Navy SEALs, Suspension Training bodyweight exercise develops strength, balance, flexibility and core stability simultaneously. The equipment is perfect for any age; it’s extremely versatile and practical; and no you don’t have to be a NavySEAL in training to use it. There are many exercises you can perform on the system and the best part is that you can use it on a tree when working out at the park. Read more about the TRX Suspension System on my blog post, ‘Give the Gift of Fitness with the TRX Suspension System.’
4. Running and Jogging: For many, there is nothing more exhilarating or challenging then a good run through the park. The air smells great and the scenery can transport your thoughts into a healthy state where your mind, body and soul align. As Nike says, “Just do it!” I can’t help it, I’m a big fan of the Nike Air Max Cross Trainers for running.
5. Stretching: As we pointed out in tip 1, the warm up is essential for a cool weather workout. Before, during, and after your exercise routine, correct stretching can improve your range of motion every time you exercise. Be consistent with it and enjoy the benefits down the road.
My top five tips should help you to get on the right path to healthier living and inspire you to head outdoors to enjoy the new season. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. And remember to take care of your body today and it will take care of you tomorrow.
Eraldo Maglara NSCA-CPT